Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Going "Gruene"

Ok, not really. I mean, we are trying to do our part in saving the planet and all - we've cut out paper plates and paper towels (for the most part) at home, and I always "try" to recycle.  That's better than nothing, right?  Anyway, in this particular instance, going Gruene simply means that Heath and I took a weekend trip to Gruene, Texas for our anniversary! We had an awesome time.  I will always remember the memories we made that weekend. I felt like we were dating again.  He was SOOO romantic (started by sending me a dozen gorgeous red roses at work, complete with a sweet note.


Note says; " Thanks for sticking around for so many years" -Those of you who know him personally know that is SO Heath.
As soon as I got off work, we sent the boys on their way with Papaw and Nana for the weekend and headed out.  We stopped in College Station for dinner at one of our favorite places:

The drive from College Station to San Marcos was absolutely stunning.  I managed to get a picture of the sunset, which is a decent shot considering the window was up and we were going ... 70 mph. 



We got to San Marcos, where we actually stayed, about 9:30. After getting our room squared away, we headed downtown for a sample of the nightlife.  We visited several "establishments".  I guess you could technically call it "bar-hopping", which I had never actually done.  The closest I got to hopping was going from Shenanigans to the Fox in college!  One of the places we "hopped" into -



Of course, we sent a picture of the sign to Jeremy LaRue! Ha. We had a great time hanging out and enjoying each other's company.  We even did a little dancing.

Saturday morning, we floated the Comal River.  The water was the perfect temperature, and it wasn't too terribly crowded.  The water level was higher than we expected, and we didn't drag bottom or even have to walk our tubes once.  My only complaint is that I lost my FAVORITE hat going down the first tube shoot. I'm sure you've seen it in several of my pictures on this blog, as it is my signature "go-to" hat. And, Heath bought it for me for my birthday.  But, enough of that! The rest of the day was spent eating, shopping, and sampling wine (and even a "winerita") along the streets of historic Gruene.  I'll leave you with a few pictures of us and the little town.

I know it looks like I am naked in this picture (probably why Heath likes loves it):

 But, I promise, I wasn't - see:




 Legendary Gruene Hall:


Some of the natural vegetation:


 Had to have a picture of the water tower! Isn't the sky just gorgeous?



 Took this picture for Lucas:
 I had to have a picture of the woodwork on the bar at the Wine Tasting:

 And these simple, yet surprisingly beautiful centerpieces:
 Bikini made of lures at the fly fishing shop:
 My handsome hubby :


 We didn't eat at the Gristmill, but it was worth taking a picture of anyway:

 Taken by my hubby, of course:

  Our little weekend adventure was so much fun and so needed!! We had planned and prepared to stay Saturday night as well, but during our conversation over dinner, we decided that we missed those two little rugrat boys too much! We left San Marcos around 9 and fell into our beds in Huntsville about 1 a.m.  The four of us slept in on Sunday, then enjoyed the day at the pool before going to baseball practice. And then, .......................it was Monday.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment