Thursday, October 17, 2013

On my heart this morning...


So much of mothering is Servanthood.


Jesus is the perfect example of service.

I think about the hours that I spend in my kitchen or laundry room serving my family. Scraping mud out of cleats, cleaning dog poop off the wall (yes, wall), wiping snot, pairing socks, the list goes on.

Many times I begrudgingly do these things.

It is a lot of work to prepare dinner, serve it and clean it up.

Do I do it because I want to, or because 3 hungry people need to eat and might eat me alive if I don’t?

I am learning that I should do it because I want to serve my family.

Some of the most ordinary things reveal more than anything what we are made of.

The Savior’s example has taught me about the type of servant I should be.

I often think of the Savior washing the disciples feet.

His ordinary was using a towel, a little water, and his hands.

I use those things in my life everyday, but do I do it with the same feeling as the Savior?

I can be ordinary, and use towels, water and my hands with a smile.

I believe that it was easy for Jesus to serve others. He remembered from whence he came.

In order for us to serve like the Savior, we too must remember where we came from.

If we also remember where our children came from it often becomes easier to serve them.

Raise your hand if there are days that come dinner time you have nothing left to give; you are tired of the whole servant role.

I had to pause from typing. Yes, I raised my hand. In fact, I raised both of them.

This is why remembering where we came from is so important.

Remembering God’s unconditional love for us.

His love makes it possible for us to have an overflow for others.

When we have nothing left to give, we can ask God to give us his love for the rest of the day.

When we do, and take the time to serve our family with love; we teach our children to be servants also.

Which is what God wants for all his children.

We are raising servants for the Lord.

Healthy servanthood should begin at home; with parents as the teachers.

…and my favorite message of all:

This servant season will not last forever, our children will grow up to serve us and others.








0 comments:

Post a Comment