Monday, April 15, 2013

Boring.

I think, sometimes boring is just what you need.

I made it my personal goal and mission to finish out the weekend by watching some Quality Sunday Evening Television. In fact, I sat through an entire episode of 60 Minutes for the first time in about fifteenyears, and do you know what? It was delightful. When I was younger I used to associate the sound of the 60 Minutes stopwatch with DREAD and DOOM and HORROR because SCHOOL IS COMING SOON, but now it just makes me think about Sunday nights at my grandparents’ house. And how we ate leftover pot roast a lot for Sunday night supper. And how BarbaraWalters always seemed so cool and with it compared to all the other reporters.


The mind works in peculiar ways, doesn’t it?

We’ve had a really laid-back weekend at our house, mainly because there is a child in this house who is waging war with pollen right now. I’m guessing you know which child I am talking about since, but if not that child is my eldest- Lucas, but he usually has four or five days every spring when the pollen makes him absolutely miserable, and that’s exactly where we were at the end of last week. Friday he coughed from the time he got out of bed until the time he went to sleep, and while on one hand I felt so sorry for him and wanted so much for him to feel better, I was also about ready to take that cough outside and give it a piece of my mind because OH MY WORD IT WOULD NOT STOP. Thankfully, yesterday and today have been so much better and we even made a trip to the county fair where his daddy came pretty close to scaring the sneezes and snot out of him on the roller coasters.  We had dinner for a friends birthday too, and that was fun but very laid back. LOVED it.

So all in all, I guess, it was kind of a boring weekend. But after last weekend long tournament and the associated drama, I’ll take it. It was just what we needed. Luke is feeling better, we are rested and hopefully there’s some springtime fun in store this next week – springtime fun that’s cough-and-sneeze-free.

That would be a wonder, now wouldn’t it?

FINGERS CROSSED.

Also.  I have some links.  Just some stuff I've come across recently that I'd like to share.

- “Because I think we need more voices gently declaring that marriage slants hard, and that’s ok. Sometimes grace finds shape in ‘me too!’ And even more than that, this recognition of shared struggles leads to the novel and frightening realization that perhaps God wants to teach us something through marriage that has less to do with happiness and an equitable sharing of chores than it does with our hearts.” – Done: For days when marriage feels impossibly hard




- “…this birthday marks the halfway point of your childhood. Nine years have whizzed by– nine years of playgroups and picture books, dolls and songs, snuggling and walks in the woods. In just nine more years, you’ll be preparing to graduate from high school, and go on to college, and start life as an adult. And I’m sorry, Punky, but that that’s just not enough time. I need more time.” – The Halfway Point

- I saw this on Ann’s blog this morning, and it struck me as just right in light of yesterday’s tragedies.






Happy Monday, y’all!




1 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Post a Comment